“Active surveillance” of a potential cancerous condition through periodic medical imaging in itself can be extremely stressful — and the anxiety, worry and fear of cancer developing or progressing may not go away as time goes on.
Active Surveillance P L U S is my vision. It is a holistic approach to cancer prevention, risk reduction and optimal wellness — and this strategy should not be considered “alternative.”
P L U S stands for Proactive – Lifestyle – Understanding – Support
P R O A C T I V E
Action and result-oriented strategies which can help reduce cancer risk and keep us feeling empowered, supported, centered, optimistic, and healthy (body, mind & spirit). See “Proactive Breast Health Club.”
L I F E S T Y L E
Holistic wellness is not a diet or exercise plan. It is a combination of influential factors — a way of living, thinking and being — supported by scientific evidence to be protective against cancer. See Anticancer Living: The Mix of Six
U N D E R S T A N D I N G
Knowledge is power. Investigate until you have a deep understanding of both your individual medical condition and how the body heals through a combination of holistic mind-body-spirit strategies. Review Donna’s resources here; read articles and watch videos compiled by Donna and Sandie Walters here.
S U P P O R T
Support is a critical factor in optimal health outcomes. See ways to stay connected below.
Active Surveillance P L U S is…
- recognized as standard “preventative care” which significantly reduces cancer-care costs, stress and unnecessary harm.
- embraced and encouraged by all (including medical professionals).
- not considered “alternative.”
- covered by insurance.
- inclusive of safe imaging modalities with women’s personal values and preferences taken into consideration.
Ways to Stay Connected & Supported:
- Donna’s Choice: Global Healing from the Inside Out (“join” Facebook Group)
- Proactive Breast Health Club (“join” to receive periodic articles)
- DCIS 411 Blog, Facebook page, @DCIS411 (“like” and “follow”)
- DCIS Redefined “Stories” ( Read others and share yours)
- give wellness (nonprofit Donna founded to bring wellness education, programs and activities to low-income community groups and people facing cancer or other life/health challenges.)