New RESOURCE card… Click link below image to download card with clickable links:
DCIS Support Groups — in alignment with DCIS 411
- DCIS Integrative Support & Empowerment
- DCIS – is NOT Breast Cancer!
- DCIS Over-diagnosis and Over-treatment
- Donna’s Choice: Global healing from the Inside-Out
- Virtual DCIS Emotional Support Group — Facilitated by Carrie Sackett, ZPD Coaching
Expert 2nd Pathology Opinion:
Tests to help INDIVIDUALIZE Your “Risk”
- DCISionRT: analyzes tissue from biopsy or surgery and gives a score to determine individual risk of future DCIS or invasive cancer as low or elevated.
- Oncotype DX for DCIS: analyzes tissue from biopsy or surgery and gives a score to determine individual risk of future DCIS or invasive cancer as low or elevated.
- The Van Nuys Prognostic Index: Offers a tailored prognosis based on DCIS size & grade, margins and patient age.
- Decision Support Tool: Created by members of the COMET study team, this interactive decision support tool helps you answer some questions:
- What are my options for treatment of DCIS?
- Does my choice of treatment affect my chance of getting a later diagnosis of DCIS or invasive breast cancer?
- How will my choice of treatment impact the chance I will be alive in 10 years? Of 100 women treated for DCIS, the chance of dying from breast cancer is very small. Doctors consider fewer treatments or no treatment for some DCIS patients.
- SonoCine Automated Whole Breast Ultrasound (AWBUS): Invented by 35 year expert radiologist Dr. Kevin Kelly, AWBUS can find tiny (4-5mm) INVASIVE cancers often missed on mammography, especially in dense breast tissue.
- “Dedicated” breast MRI
Innovative Surgical Options
- Dr. Melvin Silverstein: “Oncoplastic” lumpectomies with breast reconstruction
Clinical Trials for Low-risk DCIS
MDs leading Active Surveillance movement for low-risk DCIS
- Dr. Shelley Hwang, Chief of Breast Surgery, Duke Cancer Institute, Why Doctors Are Rethinking Breast-Cancer Treatment, TIME Magazine, Oct, 2015
- Dr. Ann Partridge, Founder and Director, Program for Young Women with Breast Cancer; Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School Dana-Farber to study ways to reduce overtreatment of DCIS
- Dr. Alastair Thompson, Professor and Chief, Section of Breast Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine Study seeks best way to manage breast ‘pre-cancer’
- Dr. Wen Liang, Anne Arundel Medical Center’s Rebecca Fortney Breast Center, Seeking less aggressive breast cancer treatment, Anne Arundel Medical Center takes part in clinical trial
- Dr. Laura Esserman, Director of the Breast Care Center at UCSF, A Breast Cancer Surgeon Who Keeps Challenging the Status Quo;Ductal Carcinoma in Situ: Where We Have Been and Where We Can Be
- Dr. Susan Love, Chief visionary officer of Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation (DSLRF), DCIS Video 2016; DCIS: The Measure of the Margin
- Dr. Deanna J. Attai, Assistant Clinical Professor of Surgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA, Past- President of the American Society of Breast Surgeons, Active Surveillance for DCIS
Media Stories — DCIS Overdiagnosis & Overtreatment
- Media — Featuring Donna’s Story and more: Inside Edition, ABC News, Women’s Health, The Daily Beast, KPBS/ NPR, The Washington Post, CNN, TIME, Prevention, Good morning America, etc.
- It’s Ok to Opt Out of Mammograms, Christie Aschwanden, October 10, 2019
- Even More Evidence That Mammograms Have Been Oversold, Christie Aschwanden
- What If Everything Your Doctors Told You About Breast Cancer Was Wrong? For years, scientists have known that mammograms are largely ineffective. Why can’t we get that message across?, Mother Jones, Oct 2015
- When Cancer is not Cancer, The California Sunday Magazine, Dec 2014
- No Easy Answers The name — ductal carcinoma in situ — begs the question: how to treat a small breast lesion that has yet to spread., Proto, January, 2014
- Critical Thinking on Breast Cancer, JAMA Editorial on Opting Out of Mammography, Gayle Sulik, PhD, Dec 2014
- Misfearing Breast Cancer More evidence that routine mammograms make healthy people sick.,
- FAQs about breast cancer screening, Christie Aschwanden | Oct 2013
- The real scandal: science denialism at Susan G. Komen for the Cure®, Christie Aschwanden | Feb 2012
- The Risk-Benefit Calculation of Mammograms,
- Take Carcinoma Out of DCIS and Ease Off Treatment, Jan 2010
- A Breast Cancer You May Not Need to Treat, Sept 2011- More.com
- The American Holistic Health Association: What Doctors Don’t Tell You About Breast Cancer: Half the time it’s not cancer at all
- Emerging Ways to Treat and Prevent Breast Cancer – Dr. Sheldon M. Feldman, NY Presbyterian Hospital , Aug 2011
- Don’t Let Fear Drive Early Breast Cancer Treatment, Aug 2010
Must Watch Documentary Films:
- The Dark Side of Mammography
- THE PROMISE Film: Exposing the truth about the Routine Breast Screening Program
- 3D Investigates: Breast screening – the truth (New Zealand)
Natural /Holistic Lifestyle Strategies
- Donna’s Official “Better-than-Awareness” Checklist
- Active Surveillance P L U S — Donna’s Vision
- “Hormone Imbalance” by Barbara O’Neill
- Chris Beat Cancer (chemo-free colon cancer survivor and natural healing guru)
- Elyn Jacobs (breast cancer survivor, patient advocate/researcher, wellness coach)
- Crazy Sexy Wellness(Kris Carr)
- Proactive Breast Health Club (DCIS Redefined)
- Donna’s Choice: Global Healing from the Inside Out (Facebook Group)
- Bastyr University Clinic — San Diego
- UC San Diego Center for Integrative Medicine
- American Association of Naturopathic Physicians
- Life Extension Directory of Innovative Doctors
- Lotus Rain Clinic, San Diego (Dr. Kristine Reese)
- Overdiagnosed: Making People Sick in the Pursuit of Health, Dr. H. Gilbert Welch, MD
- Patient Heal Thyself, Jordan S. Rubin, N.M.D., PH. D.
- Anticancer: A New Way of Life, David Servan-Screiber, MD, PhD
- You Did What? Saying ‘No’ to Conventional Cancer Treatment, Hollie & Patrick Quinn
- Herbal Medicine, Healing & Cancer: A Comprehensive Program for Prevention and Treatment, Donald Yance, Jr., C.N, M.H, A.H.G
- Chris Beat Cancer: A Comprehensive Plan for Healing Naturally, Chris Wark
- Mind Over Medicine, Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Your Life, Lissa Rankin, MD
- Radical Remission, Kelly Turner, PhD
- Cancer: Step Outside the Box, Ty Bollinger
- DCIS Redefined
- Give Wellness
- Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation
- The Mederi Foundation
- Breast Cancer Action
- National Breast Cancer Coalition
- Environmental Working Group