MDs who support Active Surveillance of low-risk DCIS
- Shelley Hwang, Chief of Breast Surgery, Duke Cancer Institute, Why Doctors Are Rethinking Breast-Cancer Treatment, TIME Magazine, Oct, 2015
- Ann Partridge, Founder and Director, Program for Young Women with Breast Cancer; Director, Adult Survivorship Program; Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School Dana-Farber to study ways to reduce overtreatment of DCIS
- Alastair Thompson, Professor, Department of Breast Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Study seeks best way to manage breast ‘pre-cancer’
- Laura Esserman, Director of the Breast Care Center at UCSF, A Breast Cancer Surgeon Who Keeps Challenging the Status Quo
- Dr. Susan Love, Chief visionary officer of Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation (DSLRF), DCIS Video 2016; DCIS: The Measure of the Margin
- Dr. Deanna J. Attai, Assistant Clinical Professor of Surgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California Los Angeles, and is a Past- President of the American Society of Breast Surgeons, Active Surveillance for DCIS
Expert 2nd Opinions:
- Dr. Michael Lagios: 30 year DCIS pathology expert offering 2nd opinion consultation services.
Dr. Melvin Silverstein: Specialist in “Oncoplastic surgery” – For those wanting to avoid mastectomy, Dr. Silverstein performs lumpectomies with breast reconstruction technology.
- Yale Medical Group: Second Opinion Consultations
Imaging, Screening & Individualized Treatment:
- SonoCine Automated Whole Breast Ultrasound (AWBUS): Invented by radiologist Dr. Kevin Kelly, AWBUS can find tiny invasive cancers often missed on mammography, especially in dense breast tissue.
- Oncotype DX for DCIS: can help determine the likelihood of DCIS returning or the tumor returning as invasive breast cancer.
- The Van Nuys Prognostic Index: offers a more tailored prognosis than the “one size fits all” treatment approach. It is based on DCIS size & grade, margins and patient age.
- Consider “dedicated” breast MRI as part of surveillance plan.
- Johns Hopkins 2nd opinion mammogram evaluation: service requires Birads 4 or higher. Can be referred by Dr. or patient. If insurance doesn’t cover, fee is $150.
- Bastyr University Clinic — San Diego
- UC San Diego Center for Integrative Medicine
- American Association of Naturopathic Physicians
Life Extension Directory of Innovative Clinics
- Lotus Rain Clinic, San Diego
- “Donna’s Choice: Global Healing from the Inside Out.” (Facebook Group)
Proactive Breast Health Club (DCIS Redefined)
- Chris Beat Cancer
- Elyn Jacobs
- Crazy Sexy Wellness (Kris Carr)
Selected Articles & Research:
- When Cancer is not Cancer, The California Sunday Magazine, DECEMBER 7, 2014
- Dec. 6, 2011 – USA Today: Gene test could spare women from unnecessary radiation
- January, 2010 – Medscape Medical news: Take Carcinoma Out of DCIS and Ease Off Treatment
- Sept. 2011- More.com: A Breast Cancer You May Not Need to Treat
- The American Holistic Health Association: What Doctors Don’t Tell You About Breast Cancer: Half the time it’s not cancer at all
- Aug. 5, 2011: Youtube, Emerging Ways to Treat and Prevent Breast Cancer – Dr. Sheldon M. Feldman, NY Presbyterian Hospital
- Don’t Let Fear Drive Early Breast Cancer Treatment, Aug 20, 2010
Donna’s Book Recommendations:
- Overdiagnosed: Making People Sick in the Pursuit of Health by Dr. H. Gilbert Welch, MD
- Patient Heal Thyself by Jordan S. Rubin, N.M.D., PH. D.
- Anticancer: A New Way of Life by David Servan-Screiber, MD, PhD
- You Did What? Saying ‘No’ to Conventional Cancer Treatment by Hollie & Patrick Quinn
- Herbal Medicine, Healing & Cancer: A Comprehensive Program for Prevention and Treatment by Donald Yance, Jr., C.N, M.H, A.H.G
- Mind Over Medicine, Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Your Life, Lissa Rankin, MD
- The ph Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health, Robert O. Young, PhD and Shelly R. Young
- The Breast Book by Dr. Susan Love, MD
- What Your Doctor Might NOT Tell You about Breast Cancer: How Hormone Balance Can Help Save Your Life by Dr. John Lee, MD
- Avoiding Breast Cancer While Balancing Your Hormones by Joseph McWherter, M.D.
- The Wisdom of Menopause by Christiane Northrup, M.D.
- Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips by Kris Carr
- Knockout by Suzanne Somers
- Breakthrough: Eight Steps to Wellness by Suzanne Somers
- I Am That Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
- DCIS Redefined
- Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation
- The Mederi Foundation
- Breast Cancer Action
- National Breast Cancer Coalition
- Environmental Working Group